Confused about where to start in implementing a mentoring program?
Successful mentoring programs must:
- Be rooted in a business or strategic need
- Have visible support from top leadership
- Have clear and specific implementation and maintenance plans
- Include a system for measuring and documenting success, needs, and future improvements
- Provide orientation, training, and ongoing support and resources to all participants – mentors and mentees
- Include a closing ceremony to recognize the good work of the participants and encourage mentees to become mentors
- Have follow-up evaluations to determine the lasting impact of the mentoring program
Think about your organization’s mentoring program, if you have one, and whether or not these characteristics are present.